Thursday, December 8, 2016

#LIGHTtheWORLD Day 8 - Prayer - A simple answer to some of life's toughest challenges


I think as we face some of the toughest challenges in life, we often forget a simple course of action that will help us navigate it, prayer.  Elder Russel M Nelson, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke about it in General Conference. Many growing up in the Christian faith, learn the Lord's Prayer. Elder Richard G. Scott, now deceased but a former member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, talked about how we get answers to prayer.  Prayer doesn't need to be lengthy, in fact I never have a really good reason when I don't pray.  I think sometimes we get busy, and forget the avenue of the most simple solution to life's challenges, by not praying.  I know I have a long way to go before my prayer patterns are where they need to be.  However I know Heavenly Father wants to hear from me and I know I want to hear from him.

Sometimes when I know least where to turn, my prayer of just pleading for help, the answer just comes with a feeling of peace that all will be well.  I was called as an LDS Bishop in December of 1993 when I was 27 years old.  I had a two year old girl, working as an accountant and we were buying the house we were renting from my mother on contract.  I didn't have much in the way of resources or experience.  The prior bishop had started tithing settlement, but had not finished it.  A life long member of the ward passed away that week so I had my first of 30 funeral that I would eventually conduct.  I even had someone take exception to my service in a harsh way in front of his family when I thanked them for their faithfulness.  I had an overwhelming feeling that I hadn't signed up for all of this.  Not knowing which way to turn and wanting help, I knelt down with wife Cathy and prayed for Heavenly Father to help me.  I knew I couldn't do this alone and Cathy's support was essential to my success.  As I began the prayer, I had an overwhelming feeling of peace come upon me.  While not all answers came, nor burdens lifted, I felt somehow I could do it.  I wish I could say that week would have been the worse part of my challenges during the next four years, but they were not.  However the answer of peace that came that day, did give me hope that God would help me through it.  While prayer will not solve all problems, it will help guide you through them.  It's free, its simple and it's personal.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that prayer makes life richer with a profound kind of joy. And I also agree that we do less of it than we should. As I've gotten older I find myself seldom asking for something specific in prayer. I simply ask for an intimate awareness of God's good company as I try to respond more fully to the blessing of my creation.

    ReplyDelete