Friday, April 25, 2014

Neil's Pro - a neighborhood gem with reliable service

Neil's Pro on the corner of 600 N and 1200 W - serving the community for over 55 years
You know when you go to rent a car and the car rental counter suggest you use your newest car's insurance and all you can offer is your 1996 Suburban that you realize someone has kept you going all these years. Ok, so I admit that I don't turn my cars over very often and until our recent acquisition of our 2008 Subaru Tribeca a couple of years ago, that was the case for me.  Part of the reason I could do it, is the honest and reliable service I've received over the years from Neil's Pro Service in Rose Park.  Originally started by Neil Draper in 1959, it has been a mainstay in our community.  They've consistently supported community events like little league baseball and now run by Neil's son Chris Draper and his brother Scott, the business continues to be a gem for those of us who are just looking for an honest answer.  Neil still opens up the shop every morning just after 7 a.m. and still does some minor repairs and helps around the shop.  His secret to longevity is a Coke and a snickers bar.  Not what my doctor told me yesterday at my checkup, but sure seems like a good idea!

In addition to my '96 Suburban and my '08 Tribeca, I have a '77 Ford Pickup.  They never wince when I bring them in (at least not to my face) and have always found practical solutions.  If they have safety issues, like my recent inspection of the Suburban, they told me.  On the other hand, they replaced my headlight on my Tribeca for half the cost of the dealership.  When my mother-in-law was told she needed a $350 car repair, I had her bring it down from Layton and Chris took a look at it.  He acknowledge the repair, but told her if she just checked her fluids on the car regularly and with the limited mileage she put on it, would be fine.  Four years later, it's still running and for a widowed mother on limited income, it was a real blessing.  Likewise, my sister-in-law had a similar experience and she lives in Murray.  We invited her to bring it down and today, she always gets her car repaired there and we take her to work.  A few months ago, we needed new tires for my daughter's SAAB before she went back to Utah State.  We checked a local discount warehouse and they couldn't get the tires in for a couple of days.  I went back to Chris at Neil's and learned my lesson.  He had them on later that day and for about $20 less a tire.  Never going anywhere else.

To the Draper Family's credit, they've made it through some tough and difficult times and weathered the ups and downs like most businesses.  However they've never cut corners, always been fair and honest.  If it's going to cost you, they give you the bad news.  If there is a practical solution that gets the job done, they give you that as an option.  I want to be fair with them, and they have been fair with me. If you haven't been to Neil's you should give them a try.  If you don't live in Rose Park, even better.  Come see what a beautiful community that has been home to a great business for over half a century.  Located at 1204 W 600 N, Salt Lake City, UT 84116 or you can call them at (801) 521-0604.  Tell them Carlton sent you.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete