Monday, December 5, 2016

#LIGHTtheWORLD Day 5 - Jesus healed the sick - So can you


I would love to say, that in the course of my life, I've never had loved ones or friends that didn't need our help and everyone was healthy with no problems or issues.  However it's almost never been the case.  My grandparents, who were born in the 1890's were in the twilight of their lives as a young child and some of their last years were in our home during my growing up years.  My father died when I was 10 from cancer and we spent those last few months caring for him.  My mother, who was one of my best friends, lived next door to us during the first 14 years of our marriage and we cared for her through a heart attack and some other health issues. In her final months before she died from Pancreatic Cancer, we experienced some of the hardest of times, yet some of the most tender moments of serving her.  The picture below was on the 4th of July, just a few days before she died on the 7th.  We took her to our community breakfast, where she said some of her last good byes to friends.

My siblings have had their own health problems.  My brother Clayton Christensen while famous in his own right, has skirted death a number of times, well documented in publications, including a feature story in Forbes.   However in each time, I have seen the miracle of Priesthood blessings take part in their lives and while the outcomes aren't always what we expect, there is no question that the healing power of the Savior is present.  I have felt it, seen it and witnessed the outcome.

I have a lot to learn.  I have a neighbor who falls often during the night.  A week or so ago, I got called at 2 a.m. in the morning, and needed to go over and lift her off the ground.  Circumstances aren't ideal and sometimes I go with some resentment because of the frequency.  However I also realize that they have no real place to turn.  As God judges my heart, I know I need to repent.

Fortunately God does give us ongoing opportunities to serve mankind.  There are many ways we can act in his behalf and in the end, two lives are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment