Sunday, December 18, 2016

#LIGHTtheWORLD Day 18 Honoring the Sabbath Day

When I was doing an internship in the Boston area in 1986, I was working for KPMG Peat Marwick doing audits for their office out on Route 128. The internship only lasted 10 weeks, but every day was pretty lengthy and even required some work on Saturdays. We were a little behind in one audit, when the audit manager suggested we might have to work on Sunday. I wasn't quite sure what to do because I didn't really have any control over the work we were doing and I knew that I pretty much had to do whatever work the audit manager needed done. I was talking to my brother Clayton about it one evening and mentioned my dilemma, to which he replied, "You need to just tell them no." He explained that if you make exceptions, even for just a few times, then you'll be asking yourself 100% of the time whether or not you should be obedient. If you're just obedient all the time, you never have to ask the question. I resolved that I would let my manager know, but the next day our work moved along much faster and I never had to ask. We ended up not needing to work that Sunday.

While my work occasionally requires me to respond, or leave early to go out of town, I do all that I can to not do any work that I don't have to do on Sunday. Clearly there are those who have to work on Sunday, including those who helped me in the ER today with treating my infection. I am grateful for their sacrifice. While many Sunday's start for me at 5:30 am and go to 5:30 pm, my service to the Savior is very different than the work I typically do. I cherish the opportunity to partake of the Sacrament and renew my covenants and I also enjoy Sunday evenings with my family.

Recently Church leaders encouraged us to look at how we honor the Sabbath day. We had a discussion as a family and my daughter suggested that even when I'm there, I'm not really there. Her desire was for us to spend some quality time doing an activity together. Sometimes I take a short nap, but the hour or so we spend together is some of the best time of the week.

Everyone honors the Sabbath in a different way. Many of my Jewish friends do so on Saturday. I think without question those who do so are blessed. Below are some ways you might find helpful in honoring the Sabbath day:

OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE

  • Memorize a favorite scripture or religious quote.
  • Discover your ancestors by researching your family history. FamilySearch can help you get started.
  • Invite someone over for Sunday dinner.
  • Spend some time updating, or starting, your own personal history.
  • Write down some ways you can draw closer to God.
  • Tomorrow, support a business that closes on Sunday.
  • Visit JustServe.org for more ways to #LIGHTtheWORLD in your community (U.S. and Canada only).

No comments:

Post a Comment