Sunday, April 16, 2017

#PrinceofPeace - Finding peace through compassion


It is difficult to watch this video without reminding ourselves of similar circumstances within our lives where either our own children, or those who are close to us have suffered something similar that reminds us how tender life can be.  I think we each try and take that challenge and do something with it to bless the lives of others.  It never fully takes that pain away, but it does help us channel it in a way that can bless the lives of others.  As the Savior has said, when we lose our lives in service to others, we really find ourselves.

My older brother Milton, who passed away
in 1965
In July of 196 when my older brother, age 11, was in a his final days here on earth, suffering from aplastic anemia or a form of what is now Leukemia, was in his hospital bed and could not speak because his tongue was swollen.  He wrote a note to my mother, who was three months pregnant with me.  Because of the circumstances, they had not told Milton about the pregnancy and my birth date would not be for another six months.  Milton wrote a note to my mother and asked, "Who is that child sitting in your lap?"  My mother initially dismissed it to his sickness, to which he later wrote, "you don't believe me, do you?"  Mom later realized that what Milton probably saw was me, who was not yet born, and to whom he wouldn't see in this life.  Nevertheless, it reminds us that families are eternal and the blessings of being a family come both in this life and the life to come.

While we are blessed in this life by the compassion of others, we are also blessed with peace on this Easter Sunday with the knowledge that we will be resurrected and can be with each other for eternity.  While I do not know the day I will see my older brother, I do also know that he lives and I will be with him one day, along with my family, my wife Cathy and our children.  I am grateful for the peace this brings in my own life.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete