Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

On the back of Van Turner's Fire Truck with Sarah and Jessica
For over 16 years, St. Patrick's Day has involved green (as in the color), my girls including Cathy, and pretty much one of Van Turner's fire trucks in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Salt Lake City.  You can't attend the parade and not plan to have some fun, and this year was no exception.  Great crowd, beautiful weather and the association of many friends and family.  Not much Irish blood in my veins, but it does run in my children courtesy of one of Cathy's distant ancestors who married a Scot.  That in itself explains that fierce competitiveness in Cathy but it also gives me a reason to have an Irish Flag, which flies in our front yard along with a house adorned in green lights.  I don't drink so I need some way to celebrate the Holiday!
One of the early St. Patrick's Day parades for the family
From our early days on the council, we have been in nearly every parade.  In 16 years, I may have missed a couple, but I've always tried to make it work.  It's one of the few parades that have allowed children and I've always appreciated that they have allowed me to do it with my family.  As I went back and accumulated my pictures, it's been nostalgic to watch my kids grow up as well.
One year shortly before her death, we were able to take my mother
in the parade.
My mother was always a lover of parades.  One year they told us we needed to find our own rides.  I had a green explorer, a green trailer, so we put down some green carpeting and used some straps to secure a recliner chair for my aging mother.  She had the time of her life, wearing her green dress, adorned with her crazy green jewelry and Jessica walked with Daisy our dog behind. I followed up the rear.  Nearly every parade involved cousins and sometimes friends.
2003, was one of the first years through the Gateway, and we pulled Sarah in a wagon
Van Turner's Fire Truck is always a mainstay for the council.  Sarah
and Jessica with cousins Abby & Lexi
Even though Van Turner lost his re-election, he's been kind enough the last few years to offer his fire truck for the City Council to ride upon.  He does all the work, gets it in place, checks in for us and we just show up.  Anyone who knows Van, knows he's the kindest guy in the world, but the guy loves Parades, loves his fire trucks and enjoys sharing it with the community.
Cathy, Jessica, and Sarah in the rear join me for this year's parade, one last time!
I suppose it's never really good-bye
So I may be on the sidelines next year, but my house will still be lit in green, the Irish flag in the front yard, and I'll be one of the zany spectators having fun with the passersby.  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment