Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Sending your child off to college isn't much fun...

Jessica at age six
You know how you have that image of your kids in your mind and for some reason, you always picture them that way, yet somehow they grow up on you?  Today was one of those harsh realities that maybe, somehow, my little girl grew up on me and it was time for her to try something new.  Yea, go ahead, tell me to grow up, but it's not your little girl!  The above picture was taken the year before I was first elected and today I dropped my daughter off as a Junior at Utah State.  I'm sure there are countless of you who have done, lived through it and probably were a lot stronger than me.  But I'm just weak and emotionally challenged with the notion of my girl testing out the next phase of her life.

Having earned her associates degree last April, Jessica obviously started thinking about alternatives to baking me cookies each Sunday evening.  She even had the audacity to think  she wants to educate little kids and increase their learning and growth.  And for some reason, she thinks that the good reputation of Utah State and idea of moving away from home would be a good direction to head in her life.  What is she thinking?  The difficult part of this all, is she may be right.  So today, we loaded up her stuff, and between her 2002 SAAB and our suburban, headed off to Logan to get her settled.  I had Cathy ride with her on the way there and I followed up the rear.  I of course called them no less than three times to suggest better driving techniques or habits (which of course don't reflect in my driving) and I was sure every movement around a big truck was going to be the end.  However we made it and got her checked in with the manager of her apartment. 

I was then sure her roommates would be unfriendly or the room lousy, but they had to welcome her and tell her how excited they were to see her.  And the room, all five have their own bedroom and bathroom units within apartment, were clean and her roommate across the hall had a sign that said "Smile" on the door with a doormat that said "HI" on it.  They even cleaned the kitchen while we were there, eliminating a sub-plot that Cathy and I were working on.  There was a shed in which she could lock up her bike, and a parking spot for her car.  They even had free Internet for her to use. 

While thinking up other conspiracy theories, I noticed she had a low tire, so we took it into a repair shop to have the flat fixed, have lunch and pick up some items at Walmart.  Of course we packed a whole slew of large quantity items from Costco purchased in Salt Lake, but there were other things to purchase there, a new printer, ink, paper, food,   We thought it time to replace her bike helmet from Jr. High, I thought she needed a bike rack for her car to take her bike on it and of course a new lock for the bike.  I then realized she needed a pump for her bike that I had her bring (and when did they change the direction of the little lever on bike pumps from pressing down to lock to sticking up straight to lock it - I spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work until Cathy and Jess read the instructions).  I of course made her pull over to a gas station, even though she had 2/3 of a tank of gas to fill it up for her to make sure she had enough.   I later set up her printer which is wireless and test printed a note, telling her to write and call frequently...

We made her practice putting on her new bike rack and her bike.  Then made her practice taking it off. And then it came time to go.  Yea go ahead, take the knife, rip my heart out and tell me not to cry.  It just isn't going to work.  I'm still crying.  For the record, I like Hangout in Google and free texting and the data package I have on her phone with T-Mobile.  I know I will see her again and it's going to be a great opportunity for her.    I think your concern should be for Sarah.  We're going to have to have someone to parent....

Doing the unthinkable - Aggie A on the car
And finally, Jessica's former boss at "another" bank where she worked, gave her this receiver plug that he had but didn't use, to give to me.  It's an Aggie "A".  So tonight, just below my faded University of Utah Alumni license plate holder, I put it in to recognize the institution of my daughter's choice and of any dollar I didn't really have to spend.  I love my Jessica and all I can say, is they better treat her right...

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I was in elementary with Jessica and her cousnin, Candice? Anyways, I know that sending her off to College might not be very fun but just wait until she is all done and can spend the time with you guys that everyone deserves :D

    ReplyDelete